WHY DOGS CANNOT GIVE CHOCOLATE
All owners, without exception, know that dogs need to be fed either with ready-made industrial dry or wet food, or low-fat meat, cereals, raw and boiled vegetables and fermented milk products. But many owners, wanting to please a pet, no, no, and they will treat it with something forbidden like a fatty patty, salted chips, smoked sausage or sweet buns and caramels. All of the above is harmful to the dog’s body, but consequences can be especially sad, even if the animal eats chocolate.
Is it possible to give chocolate to a dog
It may seem to some that chocolate is a poison for dogs because of its high sugar content (for example, milk chocolate contains up to 65% sugar of the total mass, and bitter chocolate contains 10 to 40% sugar). Sugar actually does not bring any benefit to the animal, because it spoils its teeth, quickly overweight, problems with digestion, finally, diabetes can develop. But chocolate is bad for dogs, not just because of sugar.
Why dogs should not be given chocolate
Not very useful for the brain of a dog and tannins that are in chocolate. But their content in the product from cocoa beans is not so great.
All products made from cocoa beans contain hazardous animal health alkaloids – theobromine and caffeine. And if caffeine, due to its relatively small amount in chocolate, is likely to cause the dog nervous excitement, an increase in blood pressure and pulse, then taking theobromine can lead to much more serious consequences. According to British veterinarians , this substance has a detrimental effect on the animal’s nervous system, the work of the intestines, kidneys and heart.
By the way, theobromine in large quantities can be dangerous for people, but for this you will have to eat too much chocolate in one sitting, literally an unreal amount of 20-30 kg. But a small dose of theobromine for humans is even useful for improving attention and mood, and this substance also acts as a prophylactic against blood clots. But if theobromine is excreted from the human body, then it accumulates in the dog’s body, which with regular treats of a pet with chocolate can lead to tragedy. Chocolate can be especially dangerous for puppies, elderly and weakened dogs, as well as animals with cardiovascular ailments.
Signs of Chocolate Poisoning
It’s possible to understand exactly why dogs should not be given chocolate, if you know what symptoms theobromine and caffeine cause in four-legged friends:
Veterinarian and dog
Vomiting (with or without blood);
Strong anxiety (an animal after eating chocolate can behave unnaturally excited and even aggressive);
Frequent breathing, shortness of breath;
Arrhythmia and / or tachycardia;
Increased blood pressure;
Rise in body temperature;
The more the animal ate the chocolate, the brighter the symptoms and the worse the consequences for the body. The first signs of chocolate poisoning can appear at least 3-4 hours after eating a confectionery with cocoa, a maximum – after 24-36 hours.
How much chocolate is dangerous for dogs
The toxicity of chocolate for dogs is very high. Fatal can be either a large portion of this sweet product, eaten at a time, or small amounts of chocolate that the dog will take regularly. According to British veterinarians , a dangerous amount of theobromine for animals is 100-150 mg per 1 kg of weight (for reference: 5.5 to 16 mg of theobromine per 1 gram of dark chocolate, and approximately 1 gram of milk chocolate is approximately 2.4 mg).
For a doggie weighing 15 kg, a dangerous amount of theobromine is 1500-2250 mg, which is about 90 grams of dark chocolate with a high alkaloid content or more than 600 grams of milk chocolate. Of course, not one pet can master such a quantity of chocolate at a time. But given that theobromine tends to accumulate in the canine organism, regular eating of even small portions of chocolate can lead to severe poisoning.
What to do if a dog is poisoned with chocolate
Now consider what to do if the dog ate chocolate? To begin with, we reassure the owners: if the animal swallowed a tiny piece of chocolate just once, then the trouble is unlikely to happen. But if the dog ate a lot of chocolate, then its owner needs to contact the veterinarian as soon as possible. The veterinarian must be informed how long the animal ate chocolate, as well as in what quantity. It is worth clarifying exactly which chocolate was swallowed by a doggie (the darker the chocolate, the higher the content of theobromine in it).
If no more than 3 hours have passed since eating the chocolate bar, the doctor will probably prescribe the dog washing the stomach, as well as taking sorbents to cleanse the body (activated charcoal, Wetsorbin, Presorb, Enterosgel, Polysorb, etc.).